Saturday, January 19, 2019

AMOS ARNOLD COMES TO ILLINOIS --PART 2--

Continuing . . .

Johnson Arnold married Rebecca Swigg (Zwig, Zwieg).  They had eight children:  Amos - died in infancy, Clyde, Roger, Michael, David, Henry, Ernest, and Samantha. 

I have yet to find an adult photo of Johnson Arnold, but Beckie Zwig Arnold appears in many Arnold family photos.  If any family member has a photo of Johnson Arnold, please email me jandowell@hotmail.com

Johnson Arnold
Becky (Zwig) Arnold
 
--From the History of Ford County, Illinois.  1985. 
Johnson D. Arnold (1862-1938) was born in Schuyler Falls, New York, the second child and first born son of Amos and Lora.  He married Beckie Swig (1869-1938) April 6, 1886.  Her parents, Carl and Ernstine Swig, were both born near Piro in North Germany as was Beckie.  Johnson and his wife set up housekeeping in a small home on the land given to them by Amos and Lora.  This home was later moved to the present site where the home still stands with additions made through the years.
 
This would be the location where the home stood when I lived there and what it looked like when I lived there.  My dad, mom and I moved into this home shortly after my dad was discharged from the Army.

My Grandma Mildred Arnold's address book has in Grandma's handwriting recorded the date of their moving into town and our moving on to the farm. September 1955.  I assume we moved in to the home shortly after Grandma and Grandpa moved to town. 
 
And as I suspicioned the home had additions and alterations over the years.  Mom thinks possibly the far west end of the home may have been the original as it had a small attic above this room and a door toward that faced the north, but really opened to nowhere (just the middle of the back yard.)
 
 
 
 
They also built a small home on the North East corner of the North 80 for Beckies' parents to live out their lives. 
 
I was in this small home that Beckie and Carl lived in.  I always envisioned it sitting at the end of the primary lane at the farm, but this document states the home was on the North East corner of the North 80, putting the home on the hill at the end of the lane over the ditch to the north of the main home.  This two room framed home sat just to the south of the main house when I lived on the farm.  A sidewalk ran from our home and extended past the "cob shed." We called it the cob shed.  I did enter it on a few occasions, but it was very dilapidated by the late 1950's.  I so wish I had a photo of this small home.  For more details and pics of the buildings on the farm see this post:  https://amosarnoldgenealogy.blogspot.com/search/label/The%20Farm

This previous post details the wedding of Johnson David Arnold and Beckie O. Zwig:  https://amosarnoldgenealogy.blogspot.com/2016/04/mr-and-mrs-johnson-arnold.html

Johnson and Beckie Arnold had 8 children, I will document all info separate for them and add the link here as I complete each.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Irish Settlement Road